Thursday, August 21, 2008

Insulated Food Container, i.e. a Thermos, 5 Stars


I recently went shopping for my son's new year at preschool. This year he has to bring a packed lunch everyday (what a big boy!). Not only does he have to have a packed lunch, but it needs to contain all finger foods! When I shopped for lunch boxes at Target and Walmart I was shocked to find that the lunch boxes of old are gone! There are no more plastic boxes with matching thermoses. I was shocked, and a little sad. Instead they did have food sized thermoses, but they were all over $12.00. Well, my friend suggested that I check out Land's End online for lunch boxes and thermoses. They sell a set of two of the above "insulated food containers" for only $15.00. How cool is that? Not only do I think I got a deal, but I have two thermoses so I don't have to wash his thermos everynight.

So, what will I put in this thermos for my son to eat? In September of 2007, Parents magazine published a list of suggested foods to go in a thermos that would remain hot until lunch time. Of course, I suggest priming your thermos with boiling water before placing your food in it. I'll let you know how these suggestions work out as I use them, and if you have a suggestion of thermos stuffers, please leave it as a comment here! Some of these are more finger food friendly than others, but I'm sure I'll try them all before we get to grade school.
  • Mexican rice and beans
  • Pizza bread (cut to fit)
  • Chicken nuggets
  • Bacon and eggs
  • Leftover Chinese food
  • Chili (with chips on the side)
  • Mini ravioli with butter and grated Parmesan cheese
  • Pasta rings with peas and corn
  • Grilled cheese (cut to fit)
  • Red beans and rice
  • Pasta salad (cold)
  • Macaroni and cheese
I'll be posting more lunch ideas on my family blog so look there if you are looking for some alternates to PB&J. I hope everyone had a great start to the school year and I hope these lunch ideas spawn some creativity in all of us!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Genius idea about using thermoses for things like grilled cheeses and other non-soup-type things. I'll have to consider that. Hmmm.... The ideas and possibilities!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin